Domestic Bliss and a Bit of Intrigue in Suburbia

Domestic Bliss and a Bit of Intrigue in Suburbia
It Doesn't Get any Better Than This!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Entanglements & Temptations


Sitting here, at the dining room table listening to Buddy Rich, when I received your note (letter!)

Dearest Vicki,

It is so lovely of you to write me a note. I do appreciate the written note in these fast moving technological times. That new fangled telephone is useful but I don’t always believe that one’s privacy is protected. It does seem that some of those operator girls don’t switch out so quickly. Also, you know that our two telephones are located in the kitchen and Jack’s office. And when Jack is working in his office or resting on the weekend, he doesn’t always like to hear giggling and our school talk.

I have already noted in my calendar that you will need my silver tea and coffee set. I will drop it by next Saturday before I go to the beauty salon. Will that work for you? Let us hope that my mother-in-law doesn’t drop by for coffee this week like she is sometimes fond of doing.

She will wonder why the set is not “in it’s usual place,” as she likes to say. I can grant you this, she is very observant! I am certain that I will hear that I haven’t hosted anything in sometime since I have been working. Of course, when I explain that you will need it to host the bridge tournament, she will remind me that it has been some time since I have hosted anything. That being a career gal, homemaker and wife isn’t worthwhile as some facet usually “suffers”. Oh, dear, I shouldn’t be complaining. She is who she is.

I don’t know what to make of Clive. His sudden rush, quite frankly, doesn’t sit too well with many of his friends. Stanley even made a comment to Jack at the Country Club this morning. After a round of golf they sat on the terrace to have a “victory” highball, and Bill said that he was perplexed. Personally, any woman who would allow a man to live at her home, may have not heard the expression, “Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free.”

Next Saturday we are hosting Jack’s law partner, Irvine and his wife, Ruth, are coming for cocktails and dinner. Here is my dinner menu:

Relish Tray, Roast Prime Ribs of Beef, Parsley Buttered Potatoes, Italian Broccoli, Hot Dinner Rolls and French Silk Chocolate Puffs

Does this sound tempting to you? I only ask because Ruth is used to her cook’s food. I don’t know how that woman has found such good and talented help. Her cook was enrolled in a culinary school on the East Coast before she picked up and moved to sunny Southern California.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I thought about making your Lemon Chiffon Cake that you always dazzle us with when we meet for bridge at your house.

Fondly,

Francine

No comments: